Trying to identify mold as the reason you are not feeling well, can be incredibly challenging. Many individuals undergo a multitude of tests before they realize there could be something less evident that is causing their illness.
Your home is clean and you don’t smell mold or see it anywhere, so how can you possibly be getting sick from mold? Unfortunately, a hypersensitivity to mold may cause chronic fatigue, pain or neurological issues. At OWM Integrative Wellness in Buffalo, New York, Dr. Kim Howes has the specialty mold training to help you get better.
Mold produces poisonous substances called mycotoxins which can be toxic for humans when they are eaten, absorbed into the skin, or inhaled.
Even a small amount of mycotoxin can adversely impact human health.
Mycotoxins have no smell or taste and cannot be detected visually. Usually, mycotoxins are found in warm and humid conditions and exposure to mold can be through the environment or food.
Mold exposure symptoms generally may be grouped in two ways, acute or chronic.
Acute exposure to large amounts of mycotoxins will generally present symptoms that are very severe and quick to show up, however symptoms from low doses over an extended period can result in more serious health issues and be far more difficult to pinpoint to mold exposure.
Environmental and lifestyle testing is essential to diagnose mold illness or mycotoxin poisoning.
While different strains of mycotoxins produce varying symptoms in people, many of the main symptoms are:
A OWM Integrative Wellness, Dr. Kim Howes’ extensive training and experience with mold illness ensures that patients understand that mitigating the mold is critical to helping an individual become well while being treated. Treatments focus on supporting damaged systems and detoxification.