Spring is finally here and as the days begin to get longer and warmer many of us to begin to pay more attention to our physical appearance. This might be because we tend to show more skin in the sunny Spring and Summer months. But before you unpack your warm-weather wardrobe, you might consider reducing pesky body hair first!
Let’s face it, many hair removal methods, like shaving and waxing, are time-consuming and expensive. Laser hair removal not only saves you on time spent shaving, but also on the cost of razors which can really add up over the years! Also, lasers are becoming the far superior option over expensive waxing treatments which are painful and offer only a temporary solution. This Spring, why not try a hair removal solution that is both quick, easy, and long-lasting?
If having silky, smooth hair-free skin is on your wishlist for the summer then OWM Integrative Wellness has you covered with IPL laser hair removal.
Laser, which is really an acronym for Light Amplification by Stimulated Emission of Radiation, is a non-ablative hair removal method that has been around since the late 1990s. This treatment is a safe and effective way to permanently reduce hair on unwanted areas of the body and face. At OWM, we use the advanced Venus Versa Intense Pulsed Light for our preferred permanent hair reduction method.
Intense Pulsed Light, or IPL, targets the hair below the skin while leaving the epidermis completely intact making it a very gentle treatment for the patient.IPL is different from a traditional laser for a few different reasons. The main difference is that IPL emits short pulses of polychromatic light with less force than a laser. This, however, does not mean that the treatment is less effective.
Instead, IPL is extremely successful and with a higher safety profile than a traditional laser. This means that there is much less likelihood of skin burns and unwanted side effects. The light emitted from an IPL has a wide range allowing it to reach a more broad target area and the ability to treat large areas more efficiently. Also, IPL is physically more comfortable than laser thanks to an integrated ice water cooling crystal applicator that eliminates the need to numb the skin prior to treatment.
So How Do IPL Treatments Work?
IPL laser hair reduction works by targeting hair in the anagen phase of hair growth, which is the active hair growth stage. Keep in mind that hair must be dark in order for the laser to work. This is because the light emitted from the device is absorbed by the melanin in the dark hair which then causes damage to the hair follicle. This thermal damage slows/hinders any future hair growth.
On average, a person will typically need 8-12 sessions to achieve desired hair reduction but this will depend on several factors such as hair density, color, and composition.
How to Prepare for Your IPL Hair Reduction Session?
For optimum results and safety, there are some key things to keep in mind to prepare for your IPL session.
- Avoid Certain Medications – some medications can be photosensitive and therefore do not react well with the laser. Some photosensitive meds might include antibiotics and oral steroids. You must be sure to avoid these medications at least 14 days prior to your treatment.
- Avoid Sun Before and After – Speaking of photosensitivity, the sun must be avoided for 4 weeks prior to an IPL session and 2 weeks after. This is why late winter/early spring is the perfect time to get started on IPL hair reduction to get you ready for the sunny summer months!
- Watch Certain Products – Some topical products can cause unwanted side effects and should be avoided at least 2 weeks prior to treatment. This includes but is not limited to spray tanning, self-tanning oils and creams, retinoids, and alpha-hydroxy acids. At OWM, your aesthetician will go over your current skincare regimen prior to performing any laser hair reduction.
- Shave Beforehand – Hair must be shaved within 24 hours prior to treatment. This is to ensure maximum comfort and efficacy of the treatment.
- No Tweezing or Waxing – In order for laser hair reduction to work, the hair must be in the active hair growth stage. When you wax or tweeze you are removing the hair from this active cycle therefore the laser has no target to work successfully. For optimal results, it’s best to avoid tweezing/waxing during the entire duration of your laser hair reduction package.
What to Expect After IPL Hair Reduction?
IPL laser hair reduction is a quick and easy non-invasive procedure allowing patients to return to their normal activities immediately after treatment. Some patients experience mild redness resembling a sunburn after treatment which typically subsides within a couple of hours. In this case, it’s best to treat the area as if there is a sunburn present with the application of a cool compress and aloe vera gel.
The temperatures are starting to warm up and before you know it we will be breaking out the bathing suits, tank tops, and shorts! Spring is the perfect time to get a head start on reducing unwanted body hair and razor bumps. Call OWM SPA today for your free IPL hair reduction evaluation and get ready for your first hair-free and carefree summer!